The Institute for Youth Work (IYW) is a membership organisation for Youth Workers and those that espouse youth work methodologies and ethics in their work with young people.
Together we can speak up for youth work and advocate for our profession and our professional identity in a context of continued change and challenge, giving you opportunities to represent your passions and concerns at a strategic level.
Our current priorities, as decided by our membership and stakeholders are:
• Promoting educational pathways for youth work
• Supporting the sector to deal with the changes to the JNC
• Raising professional standards
• Advocating for youth work
• Widening access to youth work research and journals
• Promotion of networking activities, best practice events and reflective spaces (including online opportunities)
• Making the evidence agenda real for the frontline
• Increasing membership and support of the IYW
• Promoting youth work ethics and values, including safeguarding
• Continued investigation of the viability and impact of a youth work register and/or license to practice
• Building the recognition of youth work by other professions
By joining the IYW you will have access to a range of benefits that we intend to grow over time, along with a range of functions served through our website. We are very encouraging of active membership and would be excited to speak with anyone who would like to stand for election to the IYW Council or bring their skills to specific projects that we could support.
As the current Chair of the IYW Council I look forward to working with you to grow the Institute’s voice and influence in order to positively advance our profession long in to the future.